Saturday, February 23, 2013

Beginnings

....... I stare at a blank screen as I am asked to "compose" my first blog. In deciding today to take the plunge in to the blogging world, here I am, about to do it, and all I can think of is, "What am I going to say?" OK, that's a lie. I am also thinking: "How am I going to say it?", "Is anybody going to even read it?", "Designing the blog was hard enough. Now I have to write it?!", "Can I keep it up?" and "Who cares what I have to say anyway?" I'm also thinking, "What if my grammar and punctuation are off?" But, I suppose by now you are thinking, "Just start"; so here goes.

My name is Dawn. I am in my late (ick!) 20's, a wife of almost 4 years, a new mom to a 3-month-old boy and a slave to one spoiled cat. I recently "retired" from the workforce in order to stay at home with my new son. Prior to motherhood I worked as a counselor.

Here is what you should know about me: 1- My faith in Jesus Christ is my guiding light in all I do. He is the rock that grounds me and my purpose for living. Without Him, I am nothing. 2- My husband and son are my world. We are a simple family hand-crafted by God for His purposes. 3- When it comes to life and motherhood, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Now, let me preface this explanation by saying I believe the Bible is the true Word of God and the ultimate guide for how we should live life. However, let's be honest; it doesn't exactly have instructions on what to do when your baby is crying inconsolably at 3am or how to treat baby eczema.

Life, and specifically motherhood, does not come with a manual. I love learning (an added fact about me) and can generally come to some sense of mastery at any new task I try. But life-- life has no instructions. Worse yet-- my son has no instructions. Now, not only am I in charge of muddling my way through my own life but I have to muddle my son through his! Gosh that's scary!

I assume I am not the only one in the world who feels like she is fumbling her way through life. In fact-- I am confident that I am not the only one who thinks this concerning motherhood. In recently leaving the workforce, one of my biggest worries has been being lonely. Especially as I embark on this new adventure of motherhood, I feel, more then ever, that I need to know I'm not alone. Hence the inspiration for this blog.

This blog in intended to speak the everyday reflections of an everyday woman. It is intended to expose the confessions I assume, or at least hope, every new mom experiences. The blog exists to highlight the humorous aspects of life and motherhood so the stresses of life do not overwhelm.  It exists to chronicle one woman's journey of growth as she tries to figure out how to grow a family. This blog exists to encourage its readers that they are not alone so this writer feels the same.

So, I welcome you to snuggle in and join me. Take this journey with me. Maybe by the end, we all can find some instructions. :)



4 comments:

  1. Good job, Dawn! I didn't find any grammar errors so Mrs. S from ACS would be proud. I remember many of the same things you are describing, but when my first was born, there was no one to read a "blog" if they had existed. I just had me, my husband, and most importantly my Lord to help me though it. Love you much
    Mom Martin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn, I am proud of you for doing this...I wish I would have started something like this when the girls were brand new. I would say to write down Everything! Some things seem, as they are happening, that you will never forget, but you do. Teeth, smiles, giggles, and then when they start talking...watch out! I love you, and can't wait to join your adventures! Jeannie~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful thoughts and expressions, dear daughter-in-law... Transparency, humility, optimism and, of course, your faith ~ you are ready for yet another new adventure! I am privileged to share it with you. Love & prayers always, Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited to read about your journey, and I'm guessing that there will be many similarities in our stories as we strive to raise our little boys to become men of God. Hopefully we'll get to write parts of our stories together.

    As much as I love words, I've thought several times about starting a blog, but I'm just too chicken. I'm always so impressed by those who can openly share their experiences. Good for you! I'm looking forward to the reminders that I'm not alone in my experiences as a new mom.

    ReplyDelete