Sunday, March 24, 2013

On Identity


In the time since my last post, I have been continuing to ponder myself and my life since leaving my job. I haven’t blogged since that time because I haven’t felt like I have had anything new to say. This blog is about my growings and I don’t think I have grown very far in this area to really move on yet. So, I’ve decided to write about where I’m at. In wrestling through this transition, the same questions keep rolling through my mind: Who am I? What is my identity?
Identity is a strange concept. When I struggle with defining my identity during this transition, these questions of “who” and “what” baffle me. If I am wondering who I am, is an identity a person? If I ask what my identity is, is identity a thing? In our culture, when we try to get to know someone’s identity, we ask, “What do you do?” as if identity is somehow wrapped up in a task. And, let’s be honest—we subconsciously rank professions, don’t we? Surely this is why I am struggling so much with my identity since leaving my job. I somehow now feel inferior.
I suppose at this point, I need to make a confession. I don’t think I have ever had a strong sense of my individual identity—whatever or whoever that is. I came from a family with a lot of needs and, frankly, we defined ourselves by our joint ability to keep the family afloat. While the concept of “There is no ‘I’ in team” is a valid one, it left me at a loss for individuation. This teamwork mentality, or the concept that the individual only exists as a part of the whole, has, in my assessment, lead to an erroneous tendency on my part to define myself, and subsequently my value, by what I do for others. Being in the people-helping profession certainly did not discourage this habit. Motherhood does not lend itself to this way of thinking. It is monotonous and often thankless (not that I’m complaining) so one doesn’t feel like she does very much. So, we are back to, Who am I when I don’t do “anything”?
In the need for some peace in this matter, I did some research. I learned that Webster defines identity as, “the distinguishing character or personality of an individual”. So, from that definition, I must conclude that identity has nothing to do with an action. That’s going to be a hard mentality to change! I admit, I am naturally task-oriented! Apparently, nothing I do has anything to do with defining my identity. Indeed, identity is a noun—a thing—a “character” or “personality”. As I let this sink in, I noticed a wave of encouragement pass over me. Even as I write this, I must pause to let it pass over me again.
If my identity has had nothing to do with my behaviors, then changing my behaviors has done nothing to change my identity. All along, I have felt like I have needed to redefine myself as a mom because the things I do as a stay-at-home mom are different than the things I did as an employee. Apparently, this isn’t so!
I read a quote recently which read, “It took nine months of growing for your baby to be born. Allow yourself the same amount of time to grow into being a mom.” I cannot tell you how encouraging this was when I read it! While motherhood indeed comes with countless new tasks I must learn to master, I must remind myself that doing so has no bearing on my identity. So, then, when I am growing into being a mom, what does this mean?
This week, I am growing (slowly but surely) in the understanding that I am the same person—I have the same identity—as I did when I was working. Indeed—my “distinguishing character and personality” have not changed. The only thing that is different is how these traits are lived out and applied. While my life has been changed forever in so many ways, I take great comfort in realizing there is something that has remained solid. Now, my next task, and no small one at that, is to identify what those enduring traits are.
As your life goes through changes, I encourage you to examine yourself. Do you have a tendency to define yourself and your identity by what you do? Do you allow others to do the same? Instead of falling in to this trap, ask yourself: What are the enduring traits of who you are that remain constant? How have those features of “distinguishing character and personality” steered you through shifting waters? Instead of asking yourself, “Who am I?” ask yourself, “What am I made of?”
I encourage us all to think of identity as individual bricks. Each brick is a trait of “distinguishing character and personality”. When we build our sense of self using these stable God-given qualities, we build for ourselves a solid foundation that cannot be swayed with the winds of change. So, explore with me—what are you made of?

2 comments:

  1. Well Dawn,

    I can understand the identity struggle. I am currently a stay at home dad. Mainly, because I am out of work, and have been searching, I left my previous job due to their misleading about the pay, and it was so low it actually cost my family money for me to go to work everyday.

    I have been staying at home for almost a month, and deal with the same issues. Identity is a complex thing: It does, to some degree, encompass what we do...because the decisions we make do come directly from WHO we are. However, "Who" I am is not informed by "what" I do. I have seen so many men in particular, fall a part after they lose what they do...because it was who they were.

    In the end, there is no magic bullet to this, I really think the solution is a daily reminder of the kind of person, mother, wire, etc. you want to be. Remembering, that in the end, no one remembers even the GREAT professionals, but they will always remember acts of love and compassion. Focus, as it appears you are already doing, on yourself, the person you are to become...and pursue that. The ranking system doesn't have to touch your identity.

    God Bless,


    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if there's a standard timetable for this identity struggle in motherhood. It hasn't been very long since I was really battling with the issue of identity, myself. My main question was, "Am I an 'us' or a 'me'?" I discovered that I was so connected to my little guy that I found it difficult to refer to myself without including him.

    I, too, grew up in a family with a team mentality, and I very much understand the feeling of being appreciated for what you "do" rather than who you "are." Even the "simple" task of adding another role/title to my existence was almost more than I felt I could manage at one point in my journey as a new mom. I was already juggling a lot with being wife, daughter, friend, sister, neice, aunt, teacher, etc. Each of these roles seems to demand that I "do" something in them. How could I add another role without losing my mind?

    I'll need to take some time to ponder your questions. They're good ones that will likely help me continue on my journey a little more smoothly. But I'll have to do my deep thinking while I don't have a little guy beside me jumping up and down while chewing wildly on everything he can get into his mouth. :-)

    ReplyDelete