What
is it about the topic of working vs. stay-at-home moms that evokes so much
controversy? Why do people feel the need to impose their personal opinions on a
person in whose shoes they do not walk? Worse yet, it has been my observation
that no matter what a mom chooses—work or stay home—she is going to get an
earful!
I have two very dear friends--both
fantastic moms. One chose to stay home after completing a Master’s degree. All
she hears is, "You spent all that money just to stay home? What a
waste!" My other friend chose to go back to work, and all she hears is,
"How can you leave your children? Is your career really more
important?" See what I mean? Both women face ridicule.
This unending criticism, this social
judgment, is the stimulus for my entry today. I have been flooded with many
conflicting emotions during my particular experience as I made my own decision
for my family concerning this matter. Sadly, I feel as if this judgment has
made it impossible for me to sort through these emotions. Even when I have
tried to share my feelings with a trusted family member, I was met with the
assessment that my conflicting responses meant that God needed to "change”
my heart so that I would “want what’s best”. The end result has been a sense of
private guilt and shame.
Today
I would like to process some of my feelings regarding this transition. For one
reason, I feel it is necessary for my own sanity. I simply cannot expect myself
to make this transition in to motherhood without sorting through them. For
another, I hope other women will feel the freedom to process their own emotions
and, ultimately, feel freedom in their own decisions, no matter what that
decision is. Finally, maybe I will learn that I am not alone. So here goes…
Twenty years. This is how long it took
me to become a Licensed Mental Health Counselor. Twelve years of primary and
secondary school, three and a half years of college, 2 and a half years of
graduate school and two years of post-graduate work. All of my life, all I can
remember is working towards this goal. Get good grades, to get to college, to
go to graduate school, to get my degree, to get a job, to get experience, to
take my test, to get my license, to become a Licensed Mental Health Counselor.
Twenty years-- more than two-thirds of my life-- and now, I'm not doing it any
more. How does one come to terms with no longer pursuing the goal for which
most of her life has been about?
Before my son was born, I was the
primary bread winner in my family. During the majority of my pregnancy, circumstances
were such that my husband and I believed that I would need to remain at work
and he would be the stay-at-home parent. (I should note that our closest family
member lives more than 180 miles away, so family sitting is not an option for
us.) I cannot tell you what a difficult period this was for me. I shed many
tears of jealousy as I envisioned my husband getting the joy of being with my
son full-time. I very much saw stay-at-home motherhood as a dream of mine and I
was shattered that it would not happen. The thought of leaving my new baby and
going to work was agonizing. I cannot understate how difficult the thought of
working over staying at home was for me.
Well, without boring you with the
details, suffice it to say the Lord worked a miracle in our life that allowed
the roles to be reversed! My husband was offered full-time work and I would get to be the stay-at-home
parent! I was elated…and devastated. What
on earth…?!?! This was my response to my own emotions. Enter the emotion:
shocked! How on earth could I be feeling sad about something I had prayed
for? How could I be disappointed that God gave me the desire of my heart?
Enter feeling guilty—guilty that I felt sad about something happening when I
just spent months sobbing when I thought it wouldn’t happen!
When the day came for me to quit my job
I cried for over an hour before going to the office to speak with my boss.
While there were less than 24 hours between my husband’s official “word” from
his job finalizing our ability to make this decision and my giving notice at
work, I agonized for weeks during my maternity leave over the possibility of
the conversation. I quite possibly lost more sleep dreading this moment than I
did by my newborn! I kept asking myself, How
is this possible? Why is this so
hard? Even my husband was confused. He’d say to me, “Dawn, if you really
can’t live without work then…” “NO!” I’d reply. “That’s not it.” Well, then, what is it? I ask myself.
In
the weeks that have followed, I have felt like I am grieving. I miss work
terribly. I feel like I have lost a piece of myself. I don’t really feel like I
have fully grown in to the identity of Dawn-the-mom yet but Dawn-the-counselor
is a piece of myself that I was solid in. After a little more than 3 years in
the field, I was just starting to feel some confidence and competence in my
career. I knew what I was doing, most of the time, but, as a mom, I feel
clueless. I hate that contrast.Who am I
now that I am no longer a counselor? What am I good at?
Of
course, when one feels she is not good at anything, she begins to question
deeper issues. I asked myself, Am I still
valuable to my family and to society now that I’m not working? With people
asking me, “What do you do all day long?” I feel the need to justify my day—my
existence. This carries over in to my relationship with my husband as I feel
the need to pinpoint a list of “productive” things I had done during the day to
show him I was not lazy, that I was pulling my weight, that I am valuable. (Of
course, he requires no such list, but that’s beside the point.) Somehow,
saying, “I fed, changed, clothed, and cared for our son all day!” is not
enough. (And any mom can tell you that’s a BIG job!)
I have found myself feeling worthless when I engage with working moms who have
eagerly shared both their family and professional triumphs. They seem to have
it all. I no longer have professional triumphs to share. I sit quietly while
they share various joys and struggles of work and feel like I have nothing to
contribute. At the time I have only been away from work about 4 months and can
share some thoughts regarding my time working in the not-so-distant past. But I
think to myself, How long will they let
me talk as if I’m “one of them”? Suddenly, I fear becoming outdated and
irrelevant and I see myself like some ancient statue—beautiful in its prime but
now eroding with time, becoming covered in vines as if forgotten. The fear of
loneliness overtakes me.
I
also feel fearful—fearful that I am throwing away a good thing. In this
economy, jobs are hard to come by. How could I just throw mine away—not only a
job but a job I loved?! I fear I can never go back, to my career that is. I
fear losing my skills and knowledge and that the field will continue to
evolve…without me.
With
all these feelings swirling around in my mind—the obvious emotion results:
shame. I have this beautiful baby boy and the miraculous means to be with him
full-time. I had prayed for this miracle—a miracle other moms wish they had—and
I'm not happy. Well, that’s not true; I am happy—but sad at the same time. Does
that make any sense to anybody??? The entanglement of these emotions continues
to befuddle me. The fact that I cannot sort these emotions out further
complicates things. There have been very few places I have found thus far where
my tangled mess is accepted. This adds to my isolation. I no longer “fit” with
working moms because I no longer work, but I fear stay-at-home moms think I
can’t relate to them because crazy-me can’t stop missing her job while, at the
exact same time, is loving being at home.
I tell myself this isn’t forever. I tell myself this is a sacrifice I won’t
regret—that it is an investment in my son that can never be recovered. I do
think all those things are true but why does it feel like I’m just saying those
things to make myself feel better?
And,
if I am truly honest, of course I think, Can
we really afford just one income? What will life be like if we can no longer
afford x, y or z?
I
know I have thrown out a lot of questions. What can I say? I have exposed you
to the raw places of my heart. I am not looking for anybody to answer these
questions for me. I do know many of the answers. I just needed to be real—the
allow myself to feel what I’m experiencing and not judge myself. Emotions are
not rational so I needed to stop trying to rationalize my way out of them. I do
hope I’m not alone in my confusion and that some woman out there can tell me
I’m not crazy, but I am also not looking for consolation. I do not need prayer
that God will “change”my heart. I know where my heart is. It is at home, with
my son. I won’t lie to you. A piece of me will always be Dawn-the-counselor. I
hope that part never dies—whether I’m using it professionally or not. I do look
forward to the day I can return to my profession and I am sure I will enjoy it
as much then as I have thus far. But, in the meantime, I hope the world will
stop judging me for doing so. I believe I can be a happy stay-at-home mom and miss being a counselor. Someday, I
plan on being a happy counselor and a
great mom.
To
everyone who knows a mom out there, support the moms in your world no matter
what they choose. I am sure they are struggling with their own emotional issues
and daily challenges either way. They need your love and encouragement, not
your judgment. Give them a safe place to process. Wouldn’t you want the same
for yourself? I am sure that they will be better moms for your support.
To the working moms out there, I
applaud you. You are juggling many balls and if you are anything like most moms
I know, you leave the left-over scraps for yourself. I have no doubt that from
my side of the fence you appear to have it all, be it all and still live to
tell about it, but that, in reality, you are exhausted and that my side of the
fence looks pretty darn good. I am not better than you and I hope my
confessions give you a glimpse in to some of the reality of life on my side of
the fence. I promise you it is not all daisies and roses. I suppose that we
each will have something the other desires. I respect you for all you do and
believe your children respect you (or will when they are old enough to do so)!
Don’t let anyone look down on you for the decision you made. You and your
family should have to answer to no one but one another.
And,
to the stay-at-home moms out there, if your experience is anything like mine,
at least now you know you are not alone. I can't tell you what all these
emotions mean or how to fix them but I'm pretty sure we are not bad moms for
having them. There is not much else I can say beyond that because I have no
resolutions for myself yet. As you can see, I’m still pretty muddled about the
whole thing. But, what I can tell you is that if we are crazy for feeling this
way, at least you’ll have a friend at the funny farm!;)


I'm a working mom and feel many of the same emotions. Guilt weighs in heavily. And fear (will my son love my mom, his caregiver, more than me?). And sadness, lots of that. I know that inevitably my mom will be the one to see his firsts first, and that sucks. But I also get to feel pride in my work, and constantly remind myself that I'm doing it to provide for him and to show him that women can be successful in the workplace. I give myself daily reminders when I drop him off. Daily peptalks.
ReplyDeleteYou're right, there is good and bad on both sides of the fence. It doesn't matter what side you're on, you can still be a good mom. Don't judge the other side, lift each other up. Being a mom is hard, we should all support each other and be there for each other.
Dawn, you will always fit in with working moms because you're a mom, we all go through similar emotions and experiences. You're doing great keep it up!
-Heather L
I was just reading this past week about the simultaneous existence of conflicting emotions: ambivalence. My experience with ambivalence has never been comfortable, but it usually seems to give me opportunities for growth. It sounds like you're in one of those times. Just think how much stronger and wiser you'll be when you emerge on the other side of this transition! (Doesn't that make it sound like there's a clear-cut end to this phase? I wish that it was really that simple!)
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your honesty and your willingness to share your struggles. It helps me feel better to know that I'm not alone in my conflicting thoughts and emotions. And I especially love knowing that I'll have a friend at the funny farm! :-)
Dawn, I enjoy your posting as usual. I ended up quitting work (although I didn't have a "career" I just had a job I enjoyed... Haven't worked in 3 1/2 years. I miss it, and I think that's alright. I try to see it as a season of life, it has its wonderful points but it's also really frustrating sometimes too. You will always be able to re-evaluate as you go, nothing is forever unless you want it to be! I wouldn't worry about getting behind... You caught up on the whole history of mankind in 6 years of school, you'll be able to catch up if you leave for a couple. I still do some reading on the things I'm interested in, even if it's just a few emails that hit my inbox every week. If I ever go back I'm sure I'll be rusty, but it's nothing impossible. Hang in there mama! Have a wonderful day!
ReplyDelete-Brittany H